Tips for facing Hurricane Dorian
Chesapeake, Va. – As Hurricane Dorian makes its way towards Hampton Roads, you may be concerned about how it will affect you and your household or business. We know that it’s more important than ever during emergencies that you stay connected to the people, information and entertainment you love. Here’s how we can help:
- TRACKING THE STORM: The Weather Channel will be available to all Cox Video subscribers through Monday.
- WIFI: Effective immediately, all local Cox stores will offer access to free Wifi to anyone in the store.
- POWER: If you lose power, but need to charge a device, we welcome you to visit any local Cox store during business hours, where we’ll have free charging stations, just bring your charger. Check here before you head out if you can, though, to find out if the storm’s intensity caused us to close the store.
- COX SERVICE: If you lose service during the storm, you can still access hundreds of shows and movies using a data connection on your phone or tablet through the Contour App, find out more here. If you have Cox Voice service, you can access your landline and voicemail on your smartphone with the Cox Voice Everywhere App.
- A note on our service: It’s possible to lose service at your home or business because of a power outage in an area that houses our equipment, even if you still have power. We’re moving and testing generators to help keep all our equipment online, in case this happens.
- COX BUSINESS PHONE: Don’t miss important business phone calls in the event of a power outage. If you have VoiceManager services or IP Centrex, activate the “Call Forwarding Not Reachable” feature in MyAccount. For additional information on how to access this feature, visit our guide. Call Forwarding begins on page 53 of the VoiceManager Administrator Guide.
Meanwhile, over here at Cox, we’re monitoring the storm and have activated our Business Continuity Plan, which helps us prepare for emergencies. Our priority, after ensuring the safety of our employees, is to keep you connected during and after this storm. A few notes on the storm and recovery:
- We have additional people and equipment resources on standby, in the event they are needed to respond to the storm.
- Our operational crews are ready to execute any recovery needed post-storm. We coordinate closely with the major energy providers as well as emergency management agencies after the storm in order to safely and effectively address any issues following Dorian.
For our updates throughout the storm, follow us on Twitter @CoxVA. And remember to download the Cox Connect App to access features and settings related to your services, or reach out for support.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We’re dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. Cox Communications is the largest division of Cox Enterprises, a family-owned business founded in 1898 by Governor James M. Cox.
Follow us on Twitter at @CoxVA.
# # #