– OFFICIAL RULES –
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the Cox Hampton Roads 40th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt (the “Contest”) is open to any charitable organization or business that operates in the Hampton Roads, VA, area. Employees of Cox Communications, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and each of its affiliated companies, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotional agencies, and the family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or to win. The term “family members” includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, grandchildren and in-laws, regardless of where they live.
3. How To Register. The Contest will begin at 12:01 a.m. (E.T.) on October 1, 2018 and end at 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on October 17, 2018 (the “Contest Period”). Organizations can register for the Contest starting on September 10, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. E.T. through 12:00 p.m. E.T. on September 21, 2018 (the “Registration Period”). The scavenger hunt portion of this Contest will start at 10:00 a.m. E.T. on October 1, 2018 and end at 11:59 p.m. E.T. on October 12, 2018 (the “Competition Period”) Sponsor will be the official timekeeper for the Contest.
To register, an authorized representative of an organization should fill out this registration form at http://bit.ly/CoxScavengerHunt.
The use of multiple identities and/or accounts is prohibited, and any attempt to obtain more than the stated number of entries will void that participant’s entries and may result in participant’s disqualification. Incomplete, forged, altered, automated, mechanically-reproduced, lost, late, misdirected, garbled or illegible entries will be disqualified. Sponsor will not be responsible for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender, Sponsor, or Sponsor’s Contest application service provider. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of an organization, Sponsor will determine the identity of the organization in its sole discretion.
All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Any questions regarding any registration or attempted registration shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons who submit false or misleading entry information or who Sponsor determines to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
4. Competition Period.
Clue Email. At the start of the Competition Period and each day business day thereafter until the end of the Competition Period, Sponsor will send an email to each Registered Organization to the email address provided at that Registered Organization’s registration (the “Clue Email”). The Clue Email will contain one (1) clue that each include the following information:
- A clue that, when solved, will direct the Registered Organization to a location in the Hampton Roads, VA are.
- Directions to the Registered Organization regarding a photo that the Registered Organization needs to take at the corresponding Clue Location (the “Photo Details”). The Photo Details will describe certain elements that should appear in a photo that will be submitted via Twitter for scoring by Sponsor.
Take a Photo. Upon arriving at the location which it believes to be the Clue Location, the Registered Organization must complete the following steps:
- Take a photo that contains as many of the Photo Details as possible;
- Upload that photo to the Registered Organization’s Official Account; and
- Include at least “@CoxVA,” “#Cox40inHRD,” and “#CoxScavengerHunt” in the body of the Tweet.
Photo Scoring. Each photo that is uploaded to Twitter and complies with the three preceding three steps will be scored by Sponsor (each, a “Scored Photo”). Sponsor will score each Scored Photo according to the following criteria (the “Criteria”):
- How quickly the Registered Organization posted the Scored Photo
- How many of the Photo Details are included in the Scored Photo.
Additional details regarding scoring will be provided in the Clue Emails. Sponsor will calculate the number of Points each Registered Organization has earned for each Scored Photo. Each Registered Organization may only submit one Scored Photo – if a Registered Organization posts more than one Scored Photo for any Clue Location, Sponsor may disqualify all of that Registered Organization’s Scored Photos for that Clue Location in its sole discretion.
Winner Selection and Odds. After the close of the Contest Period, Sponsor will calculate the total number of points earned by each Registered Organization during the Competition Period. Sponsor will select as the one (1) potential Grand Prize Winner the Registered Organization with the highest number of Points earned during the Competition Period. Sponsor’s determination regarding the number of Points earned by each Registered Organization is final. Odds of winning depend on the number of Registered Organizations competing in the Contest and the relative skill of each Registered Organization in completing the tasks required in this Contest.
5. Prize Description. One (1) Grand Prize: Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, one (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive Ten Thousand United States Dollars ($10,000 US) in the form of a check written to the Registered Organization’s designated charity. The Grand Prize will be awarded to the Registered Organization’s designated charity and not to any of the individuals representing that Registered Organization in this Contest. The designated charity must qualify for tax exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, operate in the Hampton Roads, VA area with a local chapter in the Hampton Roads, VA area and not be an “excluded charity” as described below.
Excluded Charities: Sponsor reserves the right to exclude any organization from participating in this Contest if the nature of the organization or any of its previous behavior, communication, or other activities (including those of its members and representatives) may or does cause damage or to any person, property, or reputation of Sponsor, or is otherwise not in accordance with all applicable laws, generally-accepted social practices, and the values of Sponsor as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Potential winners will be notified at an awards ceremony to take place on or about October 17, 2018 (the “Awards Event”). Representatives from all Registered Organizations will be invited to the Awards Event. The Registered Organization must have representatives present at the Awards Event in order to win any prize. If the potential Grand Prize winner is not present at the award ceremony then Sponsor may select an alternate Grand Prize winner in its sole discretion. In order to claim a prize, potential winner must respond to Sponsor’s notification at the time of the announcement at the Awards Event.
Potential winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law), which must be notarized and returned within five (5) days of notification or, if Sponsor requires in its sole discretion, before claiming the Grand Prize.
Sponsor’s inability to reach a potential winner after a reasonable (as solely determined by Sponsor) effort has been made, the failure of a potential winner to timely respond to a prize notification, the return of any prize notification as undeliverable, and/or a potential winner’s failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, result in the potential winner’s disqualification and the selection of the Registered Organization with the next-highest Point total as a substitute winner. Sponsor will select up to three (3) alternate winners, after which the prize may remain unawarded.
A PARTICIPANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL SPONSOR HAS COMPLETED ITS VERIFICATION OF PARTICIPANT’S ELIGIBILITY.
A winner may waive the right to receive a prize. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes or components of prize packages with a prize or component of equal or greater value. Winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on a prize. Winner may be required to provide his/her valid tax identification number to Sponsor for tax purposes and/or complete an IRS W-9 form in order to claim a prize. Winners are solely responsible for all federal, state and local taxes on prize value, if any, and, as applicable, will be issued an IRS Form 1099 based on the prize value determined by Sponsor. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
7. Publicity. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes the winner’s irrevocable consent to the publication or other use by Sponsor and its licensees of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media, including the Internet, for any commercial, publicity or promotional purpose, without limitation, review or approval, or additional compensation.
8. Participation. By participating, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and any Contest judges or administrators selected by Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Proof of sending or submission of an entry will not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsor.
9. Release. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE SWEEPSTAKES, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO FULLY RELEASE, FOREVER DISCHARGE AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, AND ITS RESPECTIVE SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, DISTRIBUTORS, ADVERTISING OR PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND PRIZE SUPPLIERS AND EACH SUCH COMPANY’S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM AND AGAINST ANY CLAIMS, COSTS, LIABILITIES, LOSSES, INJURIES, AND DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE SWEEPSTAKES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PROPERTY, LOSS OF ENJOYMENT, OR ANY OTHER HARM WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF: (1) PARTICIPATION IN THE SWEEPSTAKES; (2) THE QUALITY, RECEIPT, POSSESSION, USE, OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE; OR (3) ANY TRAVEL OR ACTIVITY THAT IS RELATED TO THE SWEEPSTAKES OR ANY PRIZE.
10. Limitations of Liability. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS SWEEPSTAKES, INCLUDING THE REGISTRATION WEB SITE AND THE PRIZE(S), ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND THAT SPONSOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ABOUT THE PRIZE(S) AND SPONSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. (BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN IMPLIED WARRANTIES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW.)
THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR: (1) ANY INCORRECT OR INACCURATE INFORMATION, WHETHER CAUSED BY PARTICIPANTS, PRINTING OR PRODUCTION ERRORS, OR BY ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT OR PROGRAMMING ASSOCIATED WITH OR EMPLOYED IN THE CONTEST; (2) TECHNICAL FAILURES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO MALFUNCTIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, OR DISCONNECTIONS IN PHONE LINES OR NETWORK HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE; (3) UNAUTHORIZED HUMAN INTERVENTION IN ANY PART OF THE ENTRY PROCESS OR THE CONTEST; (4) TECHNICAL OR HUMAN ERROR WHICH MAY OCCUR IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST, THE PROCESSING OF ENTRIES, OR THE
NOTIFICATION OF ANY WINNER; OR (5) ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY WHICH MAY BE CAUSED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM A PARTICIPANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR RECEIPT OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE.
Only the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules is available to be won in the Contest. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming, or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate eligible prize claims.
11. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
12. Sponsor. The Cox Hampton Roads 40th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt is sponsored by Cox Communications, Inc. The decisions of Sponsor regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials or announcements relating to the Contest. For a list of winners (available after October 17, 2018) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit http://www.coxlocal.com/40thscavengerhuntofficialrules/ or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to “Winners List/Official Rules” (as applicable), Cox Hampton Roads 40th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt, c/o Jessica Dawley, Cox Communications, 13900 Lincoln Park Drive, Suite 500, Herndon, VA 20171. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Jessica Dawley, Cox Communications, 13900 Lincoln Park Drive, Suite 500, Herndon, VA 20171.